Vince and Lori Burke and children in the Philippines with First Love International
Mon Jun 19 19:51:03 2017
See a recent email.
Wed May 10 14:55:27 2017
Dear Friends, Family and other Favorite Folks, APRIL 2017
How are You??? I hope your are well!!!
My mom was fond of funny phrases:
“If it was a snake, it would’ve bit ya!”
This was said when we were too lazy to “find,” something.
“Kwitcherbelliakin,” referred to a typical session of kid complaints.
“I’m gonna nail your hide to that barn door.”
I believe this was a quote from an old time TV star; Walter Brennan. It was used when we were in big trouble. It was often followed up by the recitation of my entire name, Vincent John Burke. This use of my full name was a sure sign of impending doom. It was probably a reminder to my mom as to what she was going to put on my tombstone when she was through with me.
So, in honor of my mom, I am going to take this “doodad,” (pen), and write another Burke prayer letter. After I write it, I am going to type it on that “gizmo,” (computer), and send it to you via that “whatchamacallit,” (email).
I hope it helps you see what we are up to, and that it helps you keep us “prayed up.”
THANKFUL FOR THE THINGAMUJIGS
I was able to take one of those flying machines to Manila, January thru March. Korean Air is great, (sorry United), and so is their food. I’ll let you read about the details in the attached reports. I hope you will read them.
*A great time with Windy City Community Church, (short term missions trip).
*Curing throngs in the Philippines, every Sunday, of insomnia, (preaching). Here a couple links:
2. Whats Love got to Do With It? with Ptr. Vince Burke
*The release of my second book, The ABC’s of Heaven.
These were some of the highlights of the first part of this year.
Please take a look at the attached reports, they are pretty good at curing insomnia too.
Please note, we are very thankful for those “thingamujigs” you send regularly or on occasion our way…thank you so much, they are a great and much appreciated blessing.
DELIGHTED BY THE DOOHICKEYS
We are grateful for your prayers.
We are blessed by your generosity.
We are thankful for what we still get to do.
We are happy about the prospects on our horizon.
WAITIN ON THE WHOSIESHATSITS.
I will be hosting a group of about 15 awesome college students from Colorado Christian University, (Denver), in Manila during the month of May. I don’t remember all their names, but they are a great bunch.
My third book is scheduled to be released by OMF Publishers, Manila in the fall of 2017. Title: The ABC’s of Jesus Birth. Can’t wait!!!
I will continue to cure insomnia throughout the Philippines in 2017.
Subliminal message: “read the attached reports...”
Lori’s flour sack endeavors are proceeding nicely. Please pray for a tipping point, this will help so many.
In closing, and hopefully so you don’t think I am a total ‘dingbat,” let me delineate some important things we would love you to pray for on our behalf…
*Pray for our kids to love God, follow Him and succeed in the plan he has for them.
*Pray for our grandson, Anthony, to continue to be healthy. He is soooooo fun!!!
*Pray for the missions trip for Colorado Christian University that I will be hosting in Manila, in May.
*Pray for the success of my two books; ABC’s of Jesus Resurrection and ABC’s of Heaven. Pray for success in Manila and other parts of the Philippines. Pray for success in the U.S. Pray that I can land a spot in a U.S. Christian book-store or publisher. Pray for the books to be a blessing to the Archbishop of the Philippines and also to the Pope. Yes, I sent copies of my second book to them…haha, I know, I be crazy.
*Pray for the development and release of my third book, The ABC’s of Jesus Birth set to come out in Manila in November.
*Pray for us to get caught up in our support, we lapsed a bit in recent months.
*Pray for a fruitful time of preaching in Manila.
*Pray for Kids International Ministries to grow stronger every month.
God Bless You-all,
We Love You-all,
Vince and Lori Burke
January Quarterly Report
April Quarterly Report
Mon Apr 3 18:32:24 2017
See their quick note.
Mon Feb 13 10:24:10 2017
I mistakenly put this letter from the Burkes in with secret.
Wed Feb 8 16:21:00 2017
See a Christmas card from the Burkes.
Wed Feb 8 15:35:05 2017
See a Christmas note from the Burkes.
Sat Dec 17 11:49:55 2016
See a Christmas Greeting from the Burkes.
Sun Nov 27 13:35:44 2016
See a little note.
Sat Nov 19 14:09:11 2016
See the recent email.
Mon Nov 14 17:06:07 2016
See this email.
Sat Sep 24 10:08:23 2016
See their latest note.
Sat Jun 11 16:06:34 2016
See a recent letter plus some details
about Christ Commission Fellowship in a powerpoint presentation (which may just download).
Thu Feb 18 14:55:38 2016
See their newsletter summarizing the past year's events.
Thu Jan 14 16:36:42 2016
See their thank you.
Thu Dec 31 12:10:15 2015
A Long Time Ago In a Group of Islands Far Far Away…
We began a relationship with a country and a people
we have grown to love and appreciate greatly.
Yes I saw the movie.
Yes I loved it.
Yes I am borrowing the theme as just about everyone else is.
But, just a little bit.
This year, Lori and I celebrated 35 years of marriage and ministry. 24 of those we spent in the Philippines. The “Force,” (hee hee), of our love for the Philippines and the great people we have been privileged to work with there has not diminished. Thank you for making it possible to serve in this way.
This year we are very grateful, even though times have been tough. But then, we aren’t the only ones who have seen some tough stuff. We are grateful…
• For the kindness of so many at the loss of Rhonda Burke, my brother’s wife. We miss her.
• For the friendship and concern of so many at the loss of my Dad, Vince Burke Sr. We miss him.
• For the generosity of so many to enable us to meet our substantial quota as part of Kids International Ministries. You made a believer outta me…thanks so much.
• For the joy and love we feel with our friends in the Philippines, especially CCF.
• For the growth of Lori’s flour sack work, called Pruiba, (proof of God’s power). Check out the website http://www.pruibaprovisions.com/
• At the addition of Mario to our family…we really love his family too.
• At the release of my first book in Manila, The ABC’s of Jesus Resurrection.
We have much to be thankful for, and we are, so thank you friends. Pity the atheist, when he is truly thankful, he has nobody to thank. Ha ha. We don’t have that problem. Thank you God.
I was reading one of my favorite Christmas passages. Check it out…talk about a battle between the two sides of the real “Force.” Read Revelation 12:1-5 and see an interesting perspective on the birth of our Savior. Behind the scenes of a manger, a star, shepherds and Magi, was a battle raging for truth and light, which still rages today. We know Who ultimately wins. But until the final victory, let’s keep soldiering on for Him. Merry Christmas.
In His Grace
Vince and Lori Burke and family.
Mon Nov 30 19:08:49 2015
See the announcement for Vince's book.
Fri Nov 13 19:42:01 2015
How are you doing these days? I am writing you from my office in CCF, in Manila, Philippines. I have been quite busy already on this trip, and enjoying it a bunch. I am attaching and pasting a recent report to let you know what's up and to thank you for your prayers and help. I was able to fly through Chicago to speak at the North Side Gospel Center for their missionary Christmas party Sunday, October 18 on my way to Manila. From Chicago I stopped in New York City to see Kelly and Mario...great fun...then on to Manila, where I am now. I have these events scheduled for the remainder of my time in Manila...thanks for praying:
Every Wednesday night I teach the book of Galatians in CCF Alabang.
November 22: I get to speak in CCF Cebu.
November 29: I speak at CCF Makati
December 3: The launch of my book; The ABC’s of Jesus Resurrection
December 6: I get to speak at CCF Alabang
Hey, if you want a copy of my book, just holler. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving. God Bless
Vince and Lori Burke
REPORT FROM BURKES
VINCE AND LORI BURKE firstname.lastname@example.org 720-217-2814
MISSIONARIES TO MANILA WITH KIDS INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES
Progress of Ministry:
• We are still trusting God to meet our support quota with Kids International Ministries, (KIM), even though we are beyond our deadline. Please pray for the remainder of the $15,000 to come in soon. Progress has been made, but we could still use help in this one-time need.
• My book, The ABC’s of Jesus Resurrection is edited. I have just been told by the editor that the release of the book in Manila through Overseas Missionary Fellowship Publishing Philippines will be in December 3, 2015. I have been in Manila since October 22 and I am excited to be here for the release.
• Lori is continuing to develop her flour sack project. It is going well. Pray that we can support more Filipinos in this endeavor.
1. I spent a number of weeks in Chicago caring for my ailing Dad. He passed away on July 17. I prayed for him the night before he died, “Lord, he has suffered enough, please let him go to be with my mom and the rest with You.” The next morning I woke up surprised at the fact that I slept so well. Nights previous my dad did not sleep, (nor I), because of his pain. I thought, “I wonder,” and sure enough I went into his bedroom and he was gone. Lori and my children all came to Chicago for the funeral. I performed the service. My dad was a Marine, and the Marines sent four men to fold a flag and play taps at the funeral service. It was very meaningful. I was able to share the gospel with a good sized crowd of family and friends.
2. My sister has met with her surgeon to see if she is a candidate for heart surgery. Evidently her condition is not strong enough for surgery. In my opinion, this is not the best news. By that I mean, since she is not able to get surgery, it probably means they can do nothing. Please pray for my sister Joyce.
3. I went to Madison, Wisconsin in August in a car I had just purchased to manage affairs surrounding my dad’s death. It was a bit of a clunker but I never expected the transmission to go out, as it did while in Wisconsin. It was not possible to fix it so a friend was able to get something out of it for us. I took the bus back to Chicago. While on the bus I got a call from Kelly. She told me it was confirmed that she had just had a miscarriage. Not a fun trip.
1. Please pray about our on-going transition to KIM. We still need to meet this quota of $15,000 as soon as we can, please pray.
2. I pray every day for our four children. Kelly age 30, Tami age 28, Vince III age 24 and Julie age 22. I pray for God’s will to be their MISSION in life. I pray for God to find the best MATE (Kelly already has her mate, pray for her husband Mario), for them. I pray for God to be the MASTER of their lives. I call it the 3M’s. Please pray with me for this as well. I also pray for God to supernaturally work in their lives.
3. Pray for my time in Manila October to December, and for the release of my book The ABC’s of Jesus Resurrection. This is the remainder of my schedule while here in Manila:
December 9: I return to Denver, Colorado
4. This has been a tough year in a lot of ways: loss of loved ones, Kelly’s miscarriage and many transitions. Please pray for us in these things.
5. The source and income for these objectives, plane tickets, flour sack ministry and travel throughout the Philippines has come from our regular monthly support. So please pray for these things as well. Thank you for your help.
6. I am praying about a trip to Texas in 2016. I would love to visit Hide-A-Way-Lake Community Church, Plano Bible Chapel and Lake Country Bible Church to catch up and share our vision and ministry, as well as reconnect during the visit.
We thank you so much for all of your prayers and gifts and love.
In His Grace, Vince and Lori Burke
Vince and Lori Burke
4441 S. Pennsylvania St. Englewood, CO. 80113
PHONE: 720-217-2814 (Vince); 847-208-4446 (Lori)
(Donations for the Burkes can be sent to this address)
KIDS INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES
VINCE AND LORI BURKE
P.O. BOX 1369,
LAWRENCE, KS 66044
Sun Sep 27 19:10:36 2015
How are you doin? A real short note here so you can pray for us.
***Goin to Manila October 23.
***Gonna speak in a bunch of different churches while there.
***Lettin you know so that you can pray for us during this time of ministry.
***Gettin excited to be there when my book comes out...pray for this.
Vince and Lori Burke
Tue Jul 21 16:36:59 2015
See the news about the death of Vince Burke's dad.
Thu Jul 9 14:06:10 2015
See the Burkes' June Report and July letter.
Mon Jun 15 08:24:15 2015
Dear Friends, June 15, 2015
How goes it on your end? Good I hope.
A quick and important request at the front…can you please send me your phone number both cell and land line. Can you send it via text at 720-217-2814 or email? Thanks. I want to give you a call at some point and maybe fill in some gaps pertaining to our transition, support issues etc. I appreciate it a bunch, thanks.
I hope to send a letter soon but let me just add a few things here. I attached a quarterly report delineating recent activities and events in our lives.
· I arrived in Denver May 13 after a very busy but very fruitful time in the Philippines. I got sick as a dog after I arrived in the states, on top of jet lag this made for a few miserable days. I headed for Chicago as soon as I could to be with my very ailing dad. He is 84, and a cancer patient. He just got whacked with pneumonia and was hospitalized for 3 weeks. He had heart blockage as well, so things are not good for him. He is currently in hospice care in the Chicago area and I am typing this in his room.
· June 19 to 22, I head to Seattle to perform the wedding for Kyle Long and Carina. Kyle is the second son of Jeff Long, friend and director-founder of Kids International Ministries, (KIM).
· Our quota for support with KIM is not there yet…please pray. I will write more soon, thanks about this and my time in the Philippines. God bless.
· While am in Chicago, Lori, Tami and Julie are enduring a pretty major disaster in the home we are renting. The basement has flooded, and the back yard has basically collapsed. Ugh, I would like to be there, but circumstances have me in Chicago with my Dad. Please pray for wisdom, stamina, solutions etc.
In His Grace,
NOTE: there was no attachment in this email.
Sat Apr 18 16:10:39 2015
See their Christmas Card.
Sat Mar 28 18:52:36 2015
See their March Newsletter.
Thu Jan 15 14:13:58 2015
See an update about their transition to a different missionary organization.
Thu Jan 15 12:40:51 2015
My brother's wife Rhonda Burke passed away at about 5 am today monday jan 12. She was 54. Please pray for me as I will speak at funeral...and for our family. Thanks Vince
Memorial visitation and service for Rhonda Cook Burke, wife of Jim Burke and mother of Jonathon and Kristi Burke, will be held this Saturday January 17, 2015. The visitation will be from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m.The location will be:
The Grove Memorial Chapel
1199 S. Arlington Heights Rd
Elk Grove Village, Illinois. 60007.
Phone number of the Grove Memorial Chapel is: 847-640-0566
Tue Dec 9 15:39:45 2014
See their latest email including important news about changing to another missionary organization.
Sat Sep 20 10:01:06 2014
See an email update.
Wed Aug 13 14:33:26 2014
See their recent note.
Wed Jul 16 20:58:19 2014
See their update and a couple of photos.
Mon May 19 19:04:40 2014
See a recent letter from the Burkes
Mon Apr 7 21:40:36 2014
HERE IS OUR LATEST NEWSLETTER...LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM DOWNLOADING IT, READING IT, (COFFEE HELPS HAHA). SEND US A LINE WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.
VINCE AND LORI BURKE
Wed Feb 19 22:49:36 2014
See a letter from the Burkes.
Tue Dec 24 14:20:52 2013
SO I TOOK A BUS.
Chicagoans will get this one. The CTA ‘L’ (sometimes written as “L” or “el”), short for “elevated,” is the rapid transit system serving the city of Chicago in the U.S. state of Illinois. I guess if you have to explain a pun…well…you know how it goes…and you know my punchant for pens, I mean my penchant for puns.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
Two important events are daily on our minds, unfortunately not the happiest of subjects, but made better by God’s ability to “make all things work together for good.”
This has been a couple of months of heart rending experiences for our family. Certainly one of the profound heart rending and heartbreaking emotions we have felt every day over the past few months relates to our beloved Philippines. I hesitate to call it "our," because this country belongs to the Lord. However, you have no idea how much we love the Philippines and the Filipino...our friends and so much more. Knowing of the intense destruction and sorrow that enveloped the land as the typhoon brought its unwelcome devastation certainly breaks our hearts. We pray for our beloved brothers and sisters, the Filipino of every strata of society during these difficult days. We love the Philippines and the Filipino and always will. May God restore what was lost, may He cause you dear Filipino to rise again, and may our God reign in the Philippines. We love you from the bottom of our hearts. For my non-Filipino friends...watch this video, its great...and pray for this great land...a land that I believe is high on the list of those who will impact the Kingdom of Christ for the glory of God in these tumultuous days. God Bless the Philippines!!! Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWG66HUqX74
The other very personal and very close experience that has confronted our family relates to our beloved Julie. More info in another letter, but for now, let me say, we are sincerely grateful that Julie is with us and doing better. We are so proud of her. We are so proud of all of our children who so profoundly rallied around their sister in her time of great need. Though painful, it brought us together. Though at times confusing and discouraging we were often comforted by the obvious hand of God. We are grateful God has been with us through a very dark valley. We continue to need prayer in many ways, but we are thankful for how things are for now. Thank you for praying for us then and now. We have learned and are learning to pray with regularity and intensity…2 Chronicles 20:12, “Our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.” We have learned and are learning to “Turn our eyes on Jesus and look full in His wonderful face…” We are seeing, “the things of earth, (though often disfigured and sad), will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.” (From the song “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus by Helen H. Lemmel). May our Christmas be “elevated,” as we lift our eyes to rejoice in His glory. May our New Year be a time of resting in His grace and walking in His truth.
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14)
Love The Burke Family
Tue Dec 24 01:48:57 2013
See a note from the Burkes.
Sun Dec 8 15:25:53 2013
Thanks so much for your prayers and help and all the rest. We are in Denver. We arrived Monday night December 2. We are still looking for a place here in the Littleton area. Some dear friends are putting us up in an extended stay type place until December 11. We just got a very kind offer from some friends in Denver to stay in their place while they are away in California for the holidays. So, we can go in there on December 19 until the 31st. This was such a blessing, cuz I woke up one morning anxious about the idea of finding a place and moving before or during the holidays. This will buy us much needed time and flexibility, thank you God and thank your servants who are so kind. We are going to go for the "housesitting" offer and look for somewhere to stay in the open dates, December 11 to 19. I will be sending an update and official type prayer letter as soon as I can, we have been pretty swamped since we arrived in country on September 24. For those
of you who get this and don't know what I am talking about...the short version is, Julie was hospitalized September 23 in Chicago. She was a student at Moody Bible Institute. Lori and I had just arrived in the Philippines on September 20, and we turned around and came to Chicago 5 days later to be with Julie. It has been a very difficult time since then. Julie was hospitalized for 38 days, finally discharged on October 30, her birthday. I have been trying to communicate with as many as possible in as comprehensive as possible a fashion...its been hard. I will try to catch up on Julie's saga of the last few months in a letter as soon as I can. She is doing much better, we all still need your prayer. Thanks so much again for your prayers.
Vince and Lori Burke
Tue Oct 1 21:06:38 2013
Please pray for our youngest daughter Julie. She is a student at Moody Bible Institute, Chicago. She fell and injured her head almost two weeks ago. She was sent by the school in an ambulance to Northwestern Hospital ER. They gave her stitches, she got a taxi back to her dorm. Soon after the fall she got a high fever. We kept in touch with Julie and tried to insure that the Moody health service was caring for her. She seemed to be improving by the time we left for Manila. Lori and I arrived in Manila on Friday September 20. The next few days we attempted to get acclimated, while staying in touch with Julie. During the first few days we were back in Manila, Julie seemed to steadily decline in health and wellbeing. We were very concerned. A number of signals made it clear that someone needed to intervene. We invited a friend on the Moody faculty to check on Julie. Julie was checked into Northwestern Hospital in downtown Chicago on Tuesday morning September 24. We found out eight hours later and immediately began plans to return home. We only had enough money for Lori to return so we booked her flight and she arrived in Chicago on Wednesday September 25. Friends helped me out, and I was able to book a flight and arrived on Thursday,September 26. We are very concerned for Julie's condition. Though some of the physical tests have ruled out blood on the brain etc from the head injury, they are still evaluating her. There has been no definitive diagnosis yet, they are still running some tests. We are praying for healing in mind, body and spirit. We are praying that if there be any spiritual oppression or attack it may be removed by the Lord through the prayers of His people. We are praying that she sleeps through the night. Thank you so much for the love, kindness, prayers and concern for us and for Julie. Continue to pray for us in this difficult time, especially for Julie. Love The Burke Family
Tue Sep 17 21:54:22 2013
Seems like we slippin into crazy mode, getting ready to go to Manila. I have one prayer request that I want to send your way. I bought an old Mercedes Benz, 1988 560 SEL when we came to the states from the Philippines. I know what you are thinking; "Vince what were you thinking?" I asked myself the same question when I was talking to myself the first night I bought it, (yes, episodes of talking to myself do occur, and with more frequency these days, haha). it was really cheap and seemed like a good deal...I can hear you laughing, that's not nice haha. In any case, it has turned out to be a surprisingly good car, I have loved tooling around in it, and it has served us well...but alas, all good things must come to an end...I really want to sell the thing. Can you pray that we are able to sell it before we leave. I suppose I could just give it away, but well, you know how that goes. Am I making any sense? I have to get it running, so that is the first step, then post it, so please pray that I could sell the thing within the next week for a reasonable amount, so that I won't cry all the way to Manila. Ok, that's it, thanks
Wed Sep 11 20:49:17 2013
As Lori and I head to Manila on September 19, we want to thank you for your prayers and support.
I pasted a link to a You Tube episode of Discovery Channel. The episode is called "Don't Drive Here." It is a funny depiction of what traffic life is like in the Philippines. I think the guy who does it is a bit unkind to the city of Manila, the people are great, the traffic is crazy but we have survived these last 20 years. In any case, it does depict and portray Manila traffic and some of the things we experience. Don't let the video keep you from coming to visit if you feel so inclined. I also attached a picture of a cute little Filipino girl, so excited about her makeshift hoola hoop. She lives in a very impoverished area of Manila. Pray for us as we minister to the poor, down and out and "least of these." Pray for us as we seek to touch the lives of the kids of Manila. Thanks for praying for us as we travel and minister in the Philippines.
Vince and Lori Burke
Here is the link to the "Don't Drive Here," episode. If it doesn't work you can probably just do a Google or You Tube search and find it easy enough.
Wed Sep 11 19:41:47 2013
See another recent email.
Tue Sep 10 23:35:02 2013
See a recent email.
Thu Aug 29 16:18:10 2013
We sent out a letter last month with an SOS theme. It served, in my mind at least, as kind of a “Gideon’s Fleece.” By that I mean, “Lord, if You want us to go to the Philippines, You have to do the impossible.” Wow, the generous response of so many has floored me. You have made a believer out of me again…this is good. We have pretty much caught up from a major deficit in our account. I was already preparing my resume to send to Walmart, I guess I was thinking that being one of those greeters was in the cards for me. Thank you for delivering us from that ha-ha. We still have some needs that once met, (a possibility I am much more confident about now thanks to y’all), will make it easier to head for Manila. Thank you so much for your love for us shown in so many ways. We wish we could see you all, hug you all and have coffee or a meal with you all. Thanks for praying for us. I will be going to Chicago August 9 to 25. I am speaking at High Point church in Madison, Wisconsin (http://www. Highpointchurch.org/) on august 11. So, I will be in Madison for a bit…then back to Chicago. Sorry just me, now with my better ľ. Hope to see you. If you have more questions, please give me a call at 720-217-2814 or drop me an email at email@example.com. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support, prayers and faithful love all these years. We are amazed at God’s provision through you. Thank you so much.
In His Grace,
Vince and Lori, Vince III and Tami in Denver, Julie at MBI Chicago and Kelly in NYC
Mon Aug 5 12:20:59 2013
Lori and I are hoping to go back to Manila in late August of 2013. We have made significant headway in a number of areas and look forward to resuming ministry in Manila. But, I received word from our director that our account is behind. I am currently forging a prayer letter with more details. This type of letter is never easy to write, especially for me. So, I ask you to pray for us whenever you can. Please pray that God would provide what is needed and that we can catch up. We are praying regularly for this concern. I feel great discouragement in having to communicate this kind of thing again…and we don’t want to “hit” our already generous supporters with this need…except as a prayer request…does that make sense? God has always provided, so we look to Him for his help but having to tell people this news is the hard part for me. I hope you understand my difficulty.
Thanks for praying for us. If you have more questions, please give me a call at 720-217-2814 or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you and catch up on things with you. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support, prayers and faithful love all these years. We marvel at God’s provision through you. Thank you so much.
May God Bless you and yours.
Vince and Lori, Vince 111 and Tami in Denver, Julie at MBI Chicago and Kelly in NYC.
Mon Jul 8 16:18:31 2013
See the June Newsletter from the Burkes.
Sat May 25 19:15:53 2013
See a thank you from the Burkes.
Thu May 2 17:55:24 2013
See an email from Vince.
Mon Feb 4 21:58:47 2013
I am sending this for Julie...please pray for her trip...thanks
Vince and Lori Burke
Dear friends and family,
I have just recently transferred from Moody in Spokane to Moody Chicago for the music program which I am currently aiming to get a Bachelors of Arts in Music or a Bachelor's of Music in voice. I am so far enjoying it here, but am overwhelmed from all my classes and might drop one because I have 17.25 credits (10 classes).
I am currently in the Women's Concert Choir and Handbell Ensemble, a group of about 35 women. This year, there is an international tour to Italy. We leave on May 19th soon after graduation and return on the 5th of June. We will arrive in Venice and will be going to Padua, Bologna, Rome, and Verona. Our concerts are 90 minutes in length with some songs in Italian and some in English. We will also have testimonies shared in the concerts and Scripture will be quoted throughout the concerts. Please be praying for us on this endeavor as we prepare, that everything would work out quite smoothly and we would have safe travels.
The expenses of the trip will cost each of the choir members $3, 200 which will go towards food, gasoline, airfare and vehicle rental among other things that will be raised on a donation basis. I am hoping to raise $2,200 by February 19, 2013 and the remainder of $1000 for the total of $3200 by April 2, 2013.
There is no obligation for you to give financially, only if God leads you to it. However, I would appreciate your prayers for everything! Thank you so much. God bless you!
Please call me if you have any questions at 847-620-9699
If you would like to support this ministry with prayer and/or finances, please complete the enclosed Ministry Trip Response Card and mail it directly to:
DRM- Women's Concert Choir
Moody Bible Institute
820 N. LaSalle Blvd
Chicago, IL 60610
If you are participating financially, you may do so by check, payable to Moody Bible Institute, or by credit card. Tax-deductible receipts will be issued to all donors including the student. The cost of the trip is $3,200 per person. This includes training, travel, lodging and ministry expenses. **In the event that serious health issues prevent me from going on this trip, or that I raise money over what is required, the money will be used to support similar mission projects and administrative expenses, and will be under the complete discretion and control of the Moody Bible Institute. Therefore, your contribution is non-refundable.
Mon Feb 4 21:23:19 2013
See their Christmas card.
Sat Jan 19 13:20:19 2013
Prayer Requests and Plans for 2013 :
Vince and Lori Burke:
Missionaries with First Love International Ministries;
We continue to hope that we can return full-time to the Philippines soon. We are still waiting on the Lord concerning transitions for our kids, Lori’s health and trial, and elimination of our debt. Much has been accomplished in all of these areas, but it still seems there is much to do. My recent visit to the Philippines was a tremendous boost, (July to October 2012). As a result, I am hoping to return for a couple visits in the spring of 2013. I have some ministry initiatives for this time frame that I would like to share with you for you to pray.
1. I have a good friend who is a pastor at Plano Bible Chapel in Plano, Texas, Robert Matthews. He was with the group I hosted during our Medical Mission back in July 2012 with Christ Commission Fellowship, (CCF). He is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary and an excellent teacher. I thought he would be an excellent resource for the Global Leadership Center, (GLC), during our second visit to Manila, (March 2013). He could teach at one of our GLC locations and give a good portion of his time to assisting in the preparation of GLC material. In addition to my preaching and teaching schedule, (very full), I would be monitoring and helping Pastor Robert Matthews as he plugs into our GLC ministry.
2. I have another pastor friend from Redding, California, Bill Giovannetti. He leads a large church there and has written a few books that are quite good. I really enjoyed his book Four Letter Words. This is an excellent book on an apologetics theme. I would like to arrange for Pastor Bill to teach his material in a couple of CCF venues for a span of two weeks. As in the case of Pastor Robert, I would monitor and assist Pastor Bill in his ministry with CCF churches in Manila.
3. I have a very dear Pastor friend, (John and Carol Czech), who ministers in Seattle, WA. He and his wife desire to send their oldest daughter to the Philippines. We have been asked to manage and monitor this visit. I am in communication with the family to put together her ministry for her time in Manila, probably in March 2013. She would minister with CCF youth in the Next-Gen ministry, which caters to young children, kinder up to 5th grade. She would also minister in an orphanage in Manila. We would take care of finding her housing and transportation as well as monitoring her ministry.
4. My son went to Manila January 1, 2013 to work on the Flour Sack ministry of my wife. He will be developing this livelihood ministry for the time frame of January 1 to mid-February. I will be helping him once I arrive for my first trip January 24 to mid- February 2013. Here is the website of “Pruiba Provisions,” Lori’s ministry, which can give you an idea of its scope and purpose: http://www.pruibaprovisions.com I will also arrange for my son to meet with business men who are close friends of mine. Since he was a business major at Calvin College, (Grand Rapids, Michigan), I am asking these friends to spend a little time mentoring my son.
Depending on her health, we are hoping Lori can join me for the trip in March.
5. In tandem with our two trips to Manila, I will be preaching every Sunday in various CCF and non-CCF churches throughout the Philippines, (Mindanao, Northern Luzon, Cebu and others). I have been asked to speak at a retreat for one week March 2013. Here is the invitation from Grace Gospel Church, an evangelical Chinese Church in Manila:
Will you be in MNL during holy week next year? Our church is organizing a family camp during that week, March 25-30, and we are praying that you will be available to speak to our youth group. Our people were blessed and they appreciated it when you ministered to us before, and would love to have you again. Hope you can be with us.
David Go: Grace Strengthening Mission; Church Consulting. Pastoral Mentoring. Lay Training
6. The source and income for these objectives, plane tickets etc…may come from our regular monthly support, though we will solicit one-time expenses for plane tickets.
7. Upon our return to the states in March 2013, we will prepare for our return to Manila in August of 2013. This will involve some travel to be with supporters, churches and family. When we arrive in Manila we will resume our ministry with CCF in discipling, leadership training and preaching. Lori will continue to work with her flour sack ministry, Pruiba Provisions.
8. We continue to work with our lawyer to see an end to the case of my wife. The case has recently been refiled and we hope to get a trial date for 2013. Lori has health issues that we are continuing to address. Many years ago she fell in the jungle and suffered an injured knee and back. We sought therapy and medial means to alleviate the pain from this accident. About 6 years ago Lori was hit from behind by a taxi driver in Chicago. She suffered additional or aggravated back and neck problems from this. We got her therapy as a result of the recommendation from the doctor. The expenses of this therapy were not covered completely by the opposing insurance company, therefore we have been involved in legal proceedings ever since. This is a huge concern and we pray daily that it will be resolved. We have been seeking various medical options to try to bring Lori to better health with less chronic pain. This is the primary reason we have not returned to the Philippines yet.
Julie got accepted into the Music school at Moody Bible Institute, Chicago. She headed there in January of 2013, we are all very excited about this. Pray for God’s provision for her tuition.
Kelly and Tami are working hard even in this crazy economy, pray for their success in God’s eyes. Pray for them to find the best job possible.
Lori still continues to have pain and we would like to find out how to overcome this and see her healed, pray for wisdom for doctors and guidance in this concern.
Thank you for your prayers and attention to these matters. Thank you for your support, which makes these ministry objectives possible. We deeply appreciate your love, concern, prayers and gifts on our behalf. It is our sincere desire that we be a good investment of the Lord’s money in all that we do. Thank you so much.
In His Grace,
Vince and Lori Burke
Vince and Lori Burke
6705 S. Field Street Unit 815
Littleton, CO. 80128
PHONE: 720-217-2814 (Vince); 847-208-4446 (Lori)
FIRST LOVE INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES
Vince and Lori Burke -
(Donations for the Burkes can be sent to this address)
P.O. BOX 15836
Loves Park, Illinois 61132
Tue Dec 18 21:26:38 2012
See the Burke's Christmas letter.
Thu Nov 22 15:37:03 2012
See their letter 5 of 5.
Thu Nov 15 15:28:47 2012
See his letter 4 of 5.
Thu Nov 8 16:40:53 2012
See their letter 3 of 5.
Wed Oct 31 13:51:12 2012
See their prayer letter number 2 of 5.
Thu Oct 25 20:32:34 2012
See their recent letter.
Tue Sep 25 18:39:56 2012
See their recent letter and a collection of photos which is missing 3 photos.
Tue Jul 3 23:32:09 2012
Dear Friends, JULY 2012
Just about 100 years ago, Teddy Roosevelt stood before the Republican National Convention in Chicago. On June 17, 1912, he said this about his own political involvement…
“What happens to me is not of the slightest consequence. I am to be used, as in a doubtful battle any man is to be used, so long as he is useful, and then he is cast aside, or left to die. I wish you to feel this and I shall need no sympathy when you are through with me, for this fight is far too great to permit us to concern ourselves about any one man’s welfare. We fight in honorable fashion for the good of mankind, we are fearless of the future, unheeding of our individual fates, with unflinching hearts and undimmed eyes, we stand at Armageddon and we battle for the Lord.”
I found myself resonating with these sentences when I read them. I know they are dramatic, even hyperbolic were, I to in some way apply them to myself. On the other hand, I still like these words, as we contemplate how God will use us at this time in our lives. Let me go back and share a few things that have shaped me, (I won’t speak for Lori, though there is certainly a lot of overlap for her as well).
I remember one of my first visits to the High School youth group at the North Side Gospel Center in Chicago. I was introduced to a girl who I was told was going to be a missionary. “What’s a missionary?’ I asked prompting a few chuckles from my peers. Months later, I went forward after hearing a missionary speaker at church, a physical way of demonstrating my willingness to be involved in going overseas, to the mission field. This “tendency,” grew and strengthened as I attended both New Tribes and Moody Bible Institutes. I even broke up with a girl because she was not interested in pursuing this same direction. I soon met Lori, aside from being the perfect girl, she also had a desire for missions. The light was green on this one, the door was open so we went for it, and got married June 7, 1980, after I graduated Moody. Wow, eons ago. After our honeymoon, we began as Youth Pastor in Madison, Wisconsin, under my spiritual father Pastor Dick Sisson. Six years into this ministry, the nudge to go overseas began to re-surface. I read a book about missions by J. Herbert Kane which challenged my thinking. He listed “reasons people once committed to the mission field don’t get there…’ One of the things on the list was, “comfortable ministry positions at home.” Hmmm, I thought, Ok, we will make a move, take a step and see what happens. I also read a quote by Robertson McQuilkin, (President of Columbia Bible College), at this time. He said, “God wants us to go from being willing to go but planning to stay - to - willing to stay but planning to go.” We made this bit of a paradigm shift in our thinking and praying. In 1986, we went to Manila for a short stint as Chaplain of Faith Academy. We loved it. We returned to the states in 1987 and ended up in Dallas Seminary while serving as Youth Pastor of Plano Bible Chapel. Our hearts still looked overseas, though we, as always, were looking to follow God’s direction wherever He led. Eventually we found our way back to Manila in 1992 with four kids in tow. Twenty years later we find ourselves with four kids scattered around the U.S, a challenging scenario. After all these years, all the voices beckoning us to stay in the U.S., and all the circumstances making our return overseas a challenge, we still find ourselves on the latter end of McQuilkin’s statement, “willing to stay but planning to go.” Our hearts are still in the Philippines and we desire to return there, we are seeking the Lord for His timing.
I like what I just read in Don Quixote, (page 568 of The Signet Classic version translated by Walter Starkie), I have paraphrased and personalized it a bit, (italics my paraphrase):
“I am therefore, almost forced to follow that road, and by it I have to travel in spite of the whole world, and it will be useless for you to weary yourselves in persuading me that I should resist what Heaven wills, fortune ordains, reason demands, and our hearts desire. Knowing as I do, the innumerable toils that are the accompaniments of missionary life, I know too the benefits that are its reward.” Again, this is a bit melo-dramatic but I also resonate with these words in light of our current circumstances and challenges. I trust we won’t run into any windmills along the way.
So, here we are, and in His time here we go. Thanks for reading, thanks for praying and thanks for supporting us all these years in so many ways. We are blessed. We don’t minimize the impact of your prayers on our behalf for a second. They are our lifeline, so please pray for these things…
1. I speak at Windy City Community Church in Chicago on July 8, 2012. If you are around the area, come on over, I would love to see you.
2. I go to Manila, Philippines July 11, 2012. This date is about 10 days before a group of 20 arrives from Plano Bible Chapel, Plano, Texas. This awesome group is coming to Manila to join hands with Christ Commission Fellowship, (CCF), medical personnel in a medical mission in an impoverished area of the city. Pray for me as I attempt to organize, plan, and implement our medical mission. Pray for our health and safety in travel etc. Pray for a two way impact, the Plano folks on Filipinos and Filipinos on the Plano folk. The group will stay in Manila until July 31. I will remain in the Philippines until October. I hope to minister in our CCF churches in various places around the country: Mindanao, Cebu, Manila etc. I hope to continue developing the “Filipinos teaching English in China,” idea as well.
3. Pray for Lori’s trial, it is still up in the air, to say the least. Recent developments border on the bizarre. Our lawyer calls it colossal misunderstanding and miscommunication. I will send more details in another epistle. Pray for closure to this crazy deal.
4. Pray for our four kids to continue making Christ the Master of their lives, His Mission their mission, and to find His perfect will each day of their lives.
5. Pray that we can continue to catch up financially. I am going all out to do whatever it takes this year to win this battle. Thank you so much for your kindness, generosity and thoughtfulness in light of this challenge.
6. Pray for my Dad. We almost lost him Father’s Day weekend. He is hanging in there better than we expected at this point.
Well, that’s it, thanks for reading. I am not Teddy Roosevelt or Cervantes, but I hope you can catch my heart in the letter. God Bless
In His Grace
Vince and Lori Burke
Tue Jun 5 20:35:13 2012
See their recent note.
Thu May 10 23:05:37 2012
(with the music removed because it must be copyrighted).
Tue Mar 27 21:37:01 2012
See their update with prayer requests.
Thu Jan 19 18:31:25 2012
VINCE AND LORI BURKE - SEMI-ANNUAL REPORT 2012
WHAT DO WE DO?
WE HAVE SERVED AS FULL TIME MISSIONARIES IN MANILA SINCE 1992. WE HAVE BEEN SERVING THE FILIPINO CHURCH SINCE 1997. I BEGAN AS ELDER FULL TIME WITH CHRIST COMMISSION FELLOWSHIP (CCF). I WAS TASKED TO TRAIN YOUTH LEADERSHIP AND BEGIN A YOUTH MINISTRY INITIALLY. WE ENGAGED IN EVANGELISM…DISCIPLESHIP. I WAS PRIVILEGED TO PREACH, TEACH, DISCIPLE AND TRAIN LEADERS IN 7-8 CHURCHES IN OUR NETWORK. I ALSO AM INVOLVED IN A REGULAR BASIS IN 4 CHURCHES NOT PART OF CCF…ON 4 DIFFERENT ISLANDS: CAGAYAN DE ORO AND DAVAO MINDANAO, CORON PALAWAN, CEBU CITY, LUZON – MANILA
I SERVE ON 3 BOARDS: OUR MISSION – FIRST LOVE INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES PHILIPPINES; AWANA PHILIPPINES; CCF ELDERS
WE GET TO TEACH BIBLE STUDIES: BANK (ASIA DEVELOPMENT BANK); OFFICES ; SCHOOLS; HOMES; MILITARY, GOVERNMENT; LOTS OF RETREATS
WHAT ARE FUTURE GOALS AND INITIATIVES?
OUR PLANS ARE TO RETURN TO MANILA THE SUMMER OF 2012:
TO MENTOR CAMPUS MISSIONARIES
TO HELP DEVELOP SHORT TERM MISSIONS FOR FILIPINOS
TO TEACH AND WORK IN GLOBAL LEADERSHIP CENTER (GLC- IN-HOUSE BIBLE SCHOOL)
TO MINISTER TO SATELITE CHURCHES AND NON CCF CHURCHES
TO RAISE UP, TRAIN AND SEND FILIPINOS TO TEACH ENGLISH IN HARBIN, CHINA IN PARTNERSHIP WITH MISSION HILLS CHURCH OF DENVER
WHAT HAVE WE BEEN DOING SINCE AUGUST 2010?
WE VISITED CHURCHES AND GOT OUR KIDS SETTLED IN THEIR RESPECTIVE PLACES
WE VISITED CHURCHES AND SUPPORTERS IN TEXAS, MADISON, WI. AND CHICAGO
WE HAVE EXTENDED OUR HOME ASSIGNMENT FOR THESE REASONS: LORI’S TRIAL IS STILL PENDING; KELLY AND VINCE III GRADUATE IN MAY; WE HAVE DEBT.
I WENT TO MANILA WITH PASTOR TERRY JARVIS, MISSIONS PASTOR AT MISSION HILLS CHURCH IN DENVER, CO. HE HAS ASKED ME TO HELP HIM RECRUIT AND TRAIN FILIPINOS TO TEACH ENGLISH IN CHINA. WE HAD MANY PRODUCTIVE MEETINGS DURING OUR VISIT. I PREACHED IN BOTH CCF CHURCHES. WE ARE ACTIVELY PURSUING THIS ENDEAVOR NOW ON THE STATESIDE END. WE MAY MAKE ANOTHER TRIP TO MANILA AND CHINA IN MARCH 2012.
WHAT ARE WE DOING FOR JANUARY TO AUGUST 2012?
WE ARE CURRENTLY ON HOME ASSIGNMENT, STAYING IN DENVER, COLORADO, WE HOPE TO RAISE MORE SUPPORT THIS YEAR…WE HOPE TO VISIT 2-3 CHURCHES IN CALIFORNIA IN FEBRUARY-MARCH. WE CONTINUE TO CARE AND PAY ATTENTION TO MY DAD WHO HAS CANCER; ESTABLISH THE KIDS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE PLACES, (ALL OVER THE U.S.); WRITE, (I HAVE BEEN IN DIALOGUE WITH A VERY POPULAR SINGER IN THE PHILIPPINES WHO WANTS TO WORK WITH ME TO PUT MY WORSHIP SONGS TO MUSIC). WE HOPE TO IMPROVE UPON OUR COMMUNICATION WITH SUPPORTERS. LORI CONTINUES TO MARKET HER FLOUR SACK BAGS WITH SOME DEGREE OF SUCCESS. WE HOPE TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF STORES SELLING LORI’ S WARES. WE ARE EXCITED ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF FLOUR SACK SALES THIS YEAR AND HOPE FURTHER INCREASE WILL HELP SUPPORT DOZENS OF FAMILES IN THE PHILIPPINES.
BURKE PRAYER REQUESTS 2012
1. Vince's dad had cancer and is undergoing chemo treatments. Pray for his salvation.
2. Lori Burke was hit while sitting in her car at a red light six years ago. She was injured and underwent treatment and therapy. The insurance company of the man who hit her has refused to cover all of the medical expenses. A trial was set for November 2011. Apparently the judge delayed things, as it appears to us so far, indefinitely. We are having trouble with the lawyer, not returning calls etc. Please pray for a positive closure to this problem. In January 2012 we will “turn up the heat,” with the lawyer and do whatever we can to speed up the trial
3. Pray for God's best for the Burke kids...
Kelly, (age 28), is a graduate student at the New York Academy of Art…she graduates May 2012
Tami , (age 26), is working in Chicago hoping to go overseas soon.
Vince III, (age 22), is a Senior at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI. He graduates May 2012.
Julie, (age 20), is a student at Moody Bible Institute in Spokane, WA. She hopes to transfer to MBI Chicago in Fall of 2012 for her third year.
4. Pray for Vince and Lori, as we prepare to return to Manila, Philippines in the summer of 2012.
• We hope to raise $1000-1500 more support per month. This will accommodate more travel for ministry purposes in other parts of Asia
• We will need to find a home and car upon our return to Manila.
• We will begin new ministry mentoring twenty Filipino campus missionaries.
• We will be part of a team that will prepare and teach in our Global Leadership Center, (ministry training school)
• We will continue to minister in various islands of the Philippines.
• We will engage in training and leading teams of Filipinos to other countries for short-term missions ministry.
• We will continue our ministries of teaching, preaching, discipling and leadership training.
• We will lead a short term group from Plano Bible Chapel in Manila in July 2012. Plans are currently underway for this endeavor.
5. Pray for Vince and Lori to have hearts for God and solid spiritual lives.
6. Pray for the Burke children to prosper spiritually, find a godly mate, and
serve God with their lives.
Sat Dec 24 16:09:00 2011
You gotta watch this Merry Christmas from the Burke kids:
Sat Dec 17 20:01:35 2011
HELLO AND MERRY CHRISTMAS,
WE ARE CELEBRATING OUR LORD'S BIRTH AGAIN, IT NEVER GROWS OLD. WE HOPE YOU AND YOURS HAVE A SUPERB HOLIDAY SEASON. MAY YOU BE RICHLY BLESSED. I HAVE ATTACHED TWO VERSIONS Version 1 Version 2 OF OUR CHRISTMAS CARD-PICTURE-LETTER. I HAVE ALSO ATTACHED A COPY OF A BIBLE READING CHART, FOR READING THRU THE BIBLE IN A YEAR, HOPE ITS HELPFUL FOR YOU. I AM GOING TO READ THRU THE BIBLE AGAIN NEXT YEAR. I MAY TRY TO READ THRU COMMENTARIES BY A GOOD FRIEND TOM CONSTABLE AS WELL. TOM WAS AN ELDER AT THE CHURCH I WORKED AT IN PLANO. HE WAS ALSO A PROFESSOR AT DALLAS SEMINARY WHILE I WAS THERE. HE HAS A GREAT WEBSITE WITH FREE ACCESS TO EXCELLENT NOTES ON THE WHOLE BIBLE. HERE IT IS: http://www.soniclight.com/
WE WISH YOU THE BEST FOR 2012. TAKE CARE
IN HIS GRACE
VINCE AND LORI BURKE
Mon Nov 21 17:07:16 2011
See their recent email.
Thu Nov 3 16:11:28 2011
A short note from October.
Thu Sep 22 22:49:54 2011
See a recent thank you note.
Mon Sep 19 13:31:19 2011
Dear Friends and Family, September 2011
There are lots of things going on right now, and I want to share them with you. I have felt all kinds of privileges as of late. This seems to be the word that often comes to mind. A big event recently in Tami’s life was her solo bike trip from Chicago to New York City. She had a great trip, none of our worries about her traveling alone materialized, thankfully. On the contrary she was wonderfully treated by so many…did you get a look at her blog. Here is the link: http://www.wix.com/tamiburke/bike?ref=nf I am proud or her, she is a good kid. I am in the Philippines now for a short trip. I was able to get a multi-city ticket for the same price as a ticket to Denver to Manila. So, I spent the weekend with Kelly in Brooklyn. I got to be in NYC on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, how's that for cool? Actually, cool isn’t the best word, but incredibly meaningful is close. We were able to bike all over NYC. On my first night we were able to attend a 9/11 concert by the New York Philharmonic, for free. Tickets were given first come first serve. We were miraculously able to get 2 tickets 10 minutes before the show at the cancelation table…our seats were four rows back…what a privilege. Kelly took me to Brooklyn Tabernacle for church on 9/11 after attending the memorial service at ground zero. Wow. In the afternoon we heard the testimony of the last survivor pulled from the rubble of the towers after they collapsed, she was the last person pulled out of the twin towers 10 years ago. What a privilege for me to be able to be there and hear her. I got a grand tour of Kelly’s school, what a great place. I’m very proud of her and her work. Both Vince and Julie are back in place at school. I am proud of both of them, they worked so hard this summer. I left NYC on 9/12 to Manila. I have a pastor friend from Denver who wants to recruit Filipinos to teach English in China. He arrived in Manila on the 16th from Denver. I am and will be very busy speaking at CCF and connecting my pastor friend to the right people for his China project. I spoke to our youth meeting on 9/17. I will speak today, Sunday the 18th at our South side church, then at prayer time on Tuesday night 9/20. I will connect him with as many people as I can while he is there from 9/16-21. After he leaves I will speak at our North side church, 4 services totaling 20,000 people, can you believe it, what a blessing and privilege. I leave on the 26th for Dallas where I will share with two of our supporting churches. Phew. Pray for me as I try to crank out the sermons now so I can enjoy my time here as much as possible. Pray that my pastor friend has a profitable trip and that this China endeavor opens up in a great way. After all that I return to Denver, then we hope to see some closure to Lori's trial thing November 1. We need prayer. I'm not mooching but if you could pray for our financial situation, college is a killer. Also could you pray for Lori's trial, pray it comes and goes November 1. Thank you for your prayers and support. We would love to hear from you. If you can give us a call in the states at 847-620-9688 we would love that. Drop us an email at email@example.com. God Bless. In His Grace,
Vince and Lori Burke
Mon Aug 8 14:55:17 2011
DEAR FRIENDS AUGUST 2011
Hello and Greetings and a Big Hug and a huge Thank You from Vince and Lori Burke, still in Denver. We have a really big prayer request for now...since Lori's trial is pending we are staying at least until November. We need housing beginning September 1. We have some leads, but nothing definite yet, please pray for a good solution to this need. Pray for all of our kids, to succeed in the Lord's eyes, to find a mate who loves the Lord, to prosper spiritually and make good choices. Pray for our health. Thank you for your support, financially, relationally and emotionally, as well as in prayer.
I, Vince will be traveling over the next few months. I will head to Madison, Wisconsin and Chicago area August 8-16 to share in the retirement service of my spiritual father, Dick Sisson. In September I will take a short trip to Manila for a cool ministry opportunity. We have been attending a great church here in Denver and have come to know the missions pastor, Terry Jarvis and his wife. They spent 30 years with Operation Mobilization in Europe and are now working in this church in Denver. The church is starting a business in the city of Harbin (simplified Chinese: 哈尔滨; pinyin: Hā'ěrbīn; Mandarin pronunciation: [xɑ́ɻpín]), is the capital and largest city of Heilongjiang Province in Northeast China. The business will be a school to teach English as a second language. As we talked about this opportunity, I got real excited because he had already been thinking of recruiting Filipinos as teachers because of the fact that they are Asian and already speak English. I told him that the church we work with in Manila, Christ Commission Fellowship, (CCF), would be the perfect pool to recruit from. In any case, he would like me to bring him to CCF this September 2011 and see about the possibility of making this kind of partnership happen. So I will be flying to Manila to assist Terry in establishing this opportunity September 12-26. Once I get back to Manila more permanently, if this were to push through, I could assist in making it work. I will arrange for Terry to meet with all the ministry heads and/or teams of small groups, church planting, leadership training and missions to not only discuss the China opportunities but also to learn from CCF. I thought the opportunity and philosophy of the whole endeavor sounded right in line with CCF and an exciting opportunity. After Manila I will fly to Texas to speak in one of our churches. Thanks for your prayers about this.
We would love to hear from you. Give us a call at 847-620-9688. If you are ever in, near or passing through Denver, please give us a call. Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks so much for your prayers on our behalf.
In His Grace,
Vince and Lori Burke
Tue Jul 26 16:04:00 2011
See a short note.
Tue Jun 7 17:18:05 2011
This annual report gives a summary of their past year.
Sat May 14 17:22:17 2011
Here is a short note.
Mon May 2 11:36:24 2011
This is just a short one...with three short prayer requests...
1. Tami is moving to Denver with us for the next few months, pray for her as she decides on her next step. I am currently in Chicago to help her move.
2. Lori's trial has been delayed...again...ugh. Pray that we can get this resolved before our desired return to the Philippines, (August 2011).
3. My sister, Joyce Bennett called me at 5:30 a.m Chicago time. Her husband had just been rushed off to the hospital in very serious condition. It was not good, I picked her up and we hurried to the hospital. He was already gone by the time we got there. His name was Guy. He had a stroke after an accident at work about 15 years ago. As a result of the stroke, he was confined to a wheel chair and suffered constant pain. Sad story. Pray for us as we make cremation arrangements and attempt to help my sister as she grieves. There will be no services in keeping with Guy's requests.
Thanks a bunch
In His Grace
Thu Mar 24 19:12:47 2011
See the quarterly update.
Wed Jan 12 20:45:09 2011
Dear Friends and Family January 2011
I had a panic attack wake-up the other morning. It was one of those wake-ups when your worry list seems a bit more pronounced than normal. My thoughts ran...“We gotta get health insurance, my knee is buggin me, I wonder if our retirement plan is gonna be adequate, kids in college, kids future, Lori's trial, health, our future etc...” I've been there before, but this attack was unexpected. Fortunately, I had devotions soon after I got out of bed. Providentially, I happened to be in Matthew 11:28-30. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” God has come through before, so, we will trust Him to continue being faithful. Thank you for your part in that regard. Let me share a few highlights of the last few months, followed by a couple of prayer requests.
NOVEMBER 2010: Lori and I took a trip to Chicago for Thanksgiving. It was great to shoot up to Madison to visit with Dick and Carol Sisson and share with the warm folks at Gateway Community Church in Middleton. We really enjoyed a reunion at High Point Church in Madison as well. We haven't spent Thanksgiving as a family with my brother, Dad and sister for about 5 years, so this was a welcome event for all of us. I was able to speak to the folks at the North Side Gospel Center in Chicago just before Lori and I returned to Denver.
DECEMBER: All of our kids were able to join us in Denver for the Christmas season. Great stuff. We even got to go skiing, Vince III was our only snow-boarder. Vince III also turned 21 at the end of the month. Tami turns 25 this January. Wow, we be getting old. We didn't have a white Christmas in Denver, no problem with me. The kids are back in school and work, so let me share some prayer requests...
1. My Dad turns 80 on February 19, 2011. I will head to Chicago in time for this milestone. Please continue to pray for his health and salvation.
2. Vince III continues at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He applied for an internship-job with College Works Painting as branch manager. I guess its a hard job to get. He had to get through 4 interviews...which he did, and got the job! He will need a car for this position, so we are praying for wisdom in that pursuit. Please pray with us as we seek to get a good used car for him.
3. I will try to be a part of two missions conferences in Chicago in tandem with my visit for my Dad's 80th. One will be in Chicago at South Park Church. The other will be at High Point Church in Madison, WI. I hope to see some of you Chicagoans and Madisonians that I haven't seen yet.
4. We need to raise more support before we return to Manila in August. I'm not sure how much yet...please pray for this mathematically challenged guy to have wisdom in determining just how much...and how to go about getting it. I am better at prayer than math, so I guess that's good.
5. We have no health insurance currently. It's hard to get when you are only in the states for a year or so...one of the quirks of our quirky life. Pray for both Lori and I as we seek to get physically refurbished before our return to Manila.
6. Lori's trial has been postponed until April. Ugh. I am not sure our lawyer is motivated for such a small potatoes case as ours. It looks like the other side has reached our for a settlement again. Please pray for closure and victory.
I guess I have tortured you enough with these things. Thank you so much for your ongoing love, attention, faithfulness and generosity as it concerns us. We are so grateful.
In His Grace
Vince and Lori Burke
Wed Jan 5 20:36:53 2011
See a letter from September and a biography.
Sun Jan 2 20:53:43 2011
See their Christmas card.
Tue Dec 21 16:41:12 2010
Here are newsletters from November and December.
First Love International Ministries; P.O. Box 15836
Loves Park, Illinois 61132-5836
High Point Church, Madison, Wisconsin; North Side Gospel Center,
New Tribes Bible Institute, Waukesha, Wisconsin (Missions); Moody
Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois (B.A. - Missions); University of
Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin (Communications); Dallas Theological
Seminary, Dallas, Texas (M.A. - Biblical Studies.
Dallas Bible College, Dallas, Texas (Missions).
Kelly - September 13, 1983, Tami - January 14, 1986, Vince III -
December 29, 1989, Julie - October 30, 1991.
Vince became a Christian at the age of 17. He was invited to a high
school youth meeting, and the Lord opened his heart to respond to the
gospel. â€śThe Lord changed my life so dramatically I created a stir
with all my friends and family.â€ť
Loriâ€™s father, a missionary,
talked to her one day about salvation when she was 4. she decided
then that she wanted Jesus to pay for her sins, and she wanted to
live in heaven with Him after she died.
Shortly after Vince was saved, he began to be educated and inspired
about missions. The emphasis on missions in his church, North Side
Gospel Center in Chicago, was strong. He gave his life to the Lord
for world missions at this time.
Lori about 12 when she realized
her responsibility for her relationship with Christ. At that time she
decided she wanted Christ first in her life, before anyone or
anything else. To her, this also meant doing what He wanted to with
her life, and she was willing to work overseas if He had that plan
Vince was chaplain at Faith Academy and pastor of the campus church
from 1992-1996. His duties included preaching, teaching, and
counseling MKs. Lori was involved in counseling MK girls, leading
Bible studies with them, and reaching out to neighbors in
the community. Since 1996, Vince and Lori have served with a Filipino
church in Manila that has grown to 30,000 members with church plants
all over the Philippines.
the Burkes returned to the Philippines from home assignment in 1997,
they moved to a new full-time ministry in Manila. Vince and Lori
began working with Christ Commission Fellowship (CCF) reestablishing
the relationship begun in 1996. CCF has grown to 30000 members with
an aggressive and effective evangelistic ministry. Vinceâ€™s role is
to serve as one of the pastors involving preaching, teaching weekly
Bible studies, and speaking at various retreats. He was also
responsible to recruit and train the young adults and parents to work
with the high school ministry. Vince and Lori will continue to be
involved in leadership training and discipling with and through CCF.
Lori has been actively involved in the CCF ministry with Vince. She
has leading roles in womenâ€™s ministry and has had success in some
livelihood projects in the community as well.
After a brief furlough, the
Burkes returned to Manila in January of 2002 with First Love
International Ministries. Vince continued as consultant for the youth
ministries at CCF. He also continued to serve as one of the pastors.
As a member of First Love ministries Vince and Lori are engaged in
additional ministries. The Burkes have been asked to develop the
Asian field in the following ways.
1. Develop a ministry of
exhortation aimed towards waking up believers from their spiritual
slumber. This can be done through pulpit supply and retreats.
2. Organize and lead
evangelistic outreaches and retreats into unreached areas of the
Philippines and Asia. The green light has been given to take teams
of Youth and young adults to other parts of the worldâ€¦specifically
Thailand and Kenya involving Filipinos with First Love ministries.
3. Develop a
discipleship/mentoring ministry geared towards lay businessmen who
demonstrate a heart for evangelism and missions.
4. Be available as a "pastor
to missionaries" and Asian pastors, through counseling,
encouragement and hospitality. This can be done in mission retreats,
marriage and enrichment weekends.
5. Develop a national pastor and
church planter curriculum. Be available to teach module style courses
throughout the Philippines and Asia.
6. Build a First Love missions
team of full-time workers and assist them in developing a support
CONTINUING MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES:
1. New discipleship classes with
3 small groups: people within Christ Commission Fellowship Lori is
ministering to 2 groups of women from CCF.
2. Preaching and teaching
opportunities inside and outside CCF.
Teaching in numerous
sessions with Philippine Military, Immigration, Bible study with
executives at Asia Development Bank.
CCF is currently involved in
evangelistic seminars for the entire police force of the Philippines
using the Purpose Driven Life materials.
The Burkes are currently on home
assingnment, staying in Denver Colorado. Vince's dad has cancer. All
of the Burke kids are in college or working, so they are empty
The Burkes hope to return to
Manila in August of 2011.