Ludwig van Beethoven
The well-known German composer.
Overtures: Leonore 1,2,3, Fidelio,King Stephen, Consecration of the House, Coriolan
Egmont, Grosse Fuge
Philharmonia and New Philharmonia Orchestras
Conducted by Otto Klemperer
EMI CDZG 5 68057 2 7CD, ADD
Beethoven is known for inspiring and uplifting music, often
the uplift is in the context of a struggle against the odds
and these recordings certainly do get you up. This is a
collection of all the symphonies plus overtures, Incidental
music to Egmont and the Grosse Fugue. Here are my
thoughts Symphony by Symphony:
- Symphony #1, Best I know of.
- Symphony #2, Never got used to this one.
- Symphony #3, Similar to the DDD recording by Abbado and the
- Symphony #4, This recording finally made me like #4.
- Symphony #5, At first I did not like the final movement
because it was too slow (vs. Reiner/Chicago Symphony) but after
a few more playings I saw the beauty of this interpretation.
- Symphony #6, Best I know of.
- Symphony #7, As good as any.
- Symphony #8, Good, but maybe not as good as Bernstein/NYPhil.
- Symphony #9, Similar to Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra.
If you have any questions or comments, write me.
To Don's Home Page